Whenever you get a new sofa, you always have to figure out what to do with the old one first.
There’s always a family member or friend who calls dibs on it but then a month later it’s still sitting in your garage collecting dust. At this point, you figure it will just be easier to get rid of your old sofa by donating it to an Atlanta charity.
Let’s be honest, donating your used sofa isn’t as frustrating as waiting on Aunt Patty to borrow her husband’s buddy’s truck to finally come and pick it up from your house. Donating a sofa or loveseat in Atlanta means all you have to do is call one of the local charities and get directions from them on what you need to do.
Keep reading to learn what you can expect when trying to donate your sofa and which Atlanta charities are accepting furniture donations near you.
Atlanta Charities & Sofa Donation
While these organizations need as many furniture donations as possible, they can only accept items that are in excellent condition. Make sure that your sofa or recliner is in good, clean, working order because your used furniture will be sold or given to a family in need.
When donating your used sofa to an Atlanta charity, you can take it to their drop-off location, or some of the charities even offer to come to your home and pick up your furniture donation.
Another great perk (besides giving to a charitable cause) is that your furniture donation in Atlanta can be used as a tax write-off. Just remember to get a receipt when you donate your sofa or other furniture to the charity.
You’ll need the donation receipt to itemize the furniture you gave to the charity and list them with their fair market value on your taxes.
Below are a few of our favorite charities in Atlanta you can contact about donating your old sofa or other furniture items.
Need to get rid of an old couch? BOOK A PICKUP ❯
Atlanta Habitat for Humanity
- Phone: 404-465-1010
- Website: http://www.atlantahabitat.org/restore-donate/
- Drop-Off Sites: Go to http://www.atlantahabitat.org/restore-location-hours/ for location and hours of operation
- Pickups: Go to http://www.atlantahabitat.org/pickup/ and fill out pickup request form to have someone contact you to schedule a pickup; Priority given to requests with complete, detailed information and several high-quality photos of furniture being donated
- Does Not Accept: Office furniture, mattresses, box springs, or items not in excellent and working condition
Goodwill of North Georgia
- Phone: 404-486-8499
- Website: https://goodwillng.org/donations/
- Drop-Off Sites: Go to https://goodwillng.org/locations/ and enter your zip code to find the drop-off location nearest you
- Pickups: No pickups; Drop-off only
- Does Not Accept: Items in need of repair, water-soaked or stained items, mattresses, or box springs
Metro Atlanta Furniture Bank
- Phone: 404-355-8530
- Website: http://furniturebankatlanta.org/
- Drop-Off Sites: Go to http://furniturebankatlanta.org/about/contact-us/ for location and hours of operation
- Pickups: Pickups offered in some areas; $20 – $50 non-refundable pickup fee; must schedule 2 – 4 weeks in advance
- Does Not Accept: Furniture in need of any repair, including rips, tears, stains, breaks, or pet hair; items over 6 feet tall; office furniture; hospital beds; waterbeds; or bed frames
Atlanta Area Salvation Army
- Phone: 404-523-6214 or 800-728-7825
- Website: http://atlanta.satruck.org/atlantaarc/donate
- Drop-Off Sites: Go to https://satruck.org/ and enter your zip code to find the drop-off location nearest you.
- Pickups: Tuesdays through Saturdays; no guaranteed time window; must schedule 2 – 4 weeks in advance; no pickups on holidays
- Does Not Accept: Sofas longer than 12 feet, desks, mattresses, box springs, hospital beds, waterbeds, or metal filing cabinets; Furniture with stains, rips, or tears
How to Donate a Sofa in Atlanta
Donating your unwanted sofa not only helps someone in need, but also helps to conserve natural resources, reduces the amount of waste that is sent to a landfill, fights pollution, and reduces the demand for energy when you donate your old sofa or recliner instead of throwing it in the trash.
You could donate your unwanted sofa or futon to an Atlanta charity and help a family that’s lost everything in a fire, earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disasters. You can rest easy knowing your old sleeper sofa or sectional is helping someone less fortunate to create a comfy home.
Make sure you don’t haul your futon or sectional sofa all the way down to the charity drop off center only to find out they won’t take your donation. When you’re getting rid of a used sofa or club chair, remember that charities waste a lot of time and money having to deal with furniture that should never have been donated in the first place.
Take a good look around the charity’s website or give them a call before trying to donate your used sofa to them. This way, you’ll have a good idea of what furniture items they will accept and whether they can pick up your furniture donation.
If the charity won’t pick up your donation but your old couch or loveseat is too heavy and difficult to haul to the donation drop-off by yourself, call a furniture pickup service in Atlanta like Couch Disposal Plus to haul away your sofa and take it to be donated instead.
Old sofa getting on your nerves? BOOK A PICKUP ❯
Atlanta Furniture Donation Pickup Service
Couch Disposal Plus hauls the sofas and other furniture they pick up to be donated to a local charity or recycled at a nearby recycling facility.
Although not all sofas are able to be disposed of this way (because of the condition of the furniture or other outside circumstances), Couch Disposal Plus has already kept over 3 million pounds of junk out of the landfills.
Furniture removal services do charge a fee to pick up and get rid of your unwanted sofa or recliner for you, but compared to the awful amount of time and energy you would spend on doing it yourself, there’s no contest.
Couch Disposal Plus is a nationwide furniture removal service providing fast, easy, and affordable furniture pickup and haul-away in Atlanta, Georgia. The fees that Couch Disposal Plus charges tend to be about 20-30% lower than what most other furniture disposal services charge.
Offering honest, up-front pricing with no hidden fees or taxes, Couch Disposal Plus makes sure you know exactly what you’ll be paying. They’re also transparent about customer feedback, sharing unedited reviews they’ve received right on their website.
All of Couch Disposal Plus’s approved contractors who perform the pickups are fully insured and have a full background check run on them before they start completing pickups with Couch Disposal Plus, so you can rest easy knowing you’re in safe hands.
For more information on getting rid of a sofa or other furniture in Atlanta, check out our Atlanta Couch Disposal Page or give us a call!